Educational Activities of the Sisters Benedictines of Kaunas from 1918 to 1940 in Lithuania
Keywords:Benedictine sisters, Educators, Educators of the society, Montessori education, Pedagogical system, Formal and non-formal education, Educational activities
This paper presents the Sisters Benedictines of Kaunas as educators of the society, whose educational activities flourished from 1918 to 1940 in Lithuania. Kaunas society appreciated the educational activities of the Benedictine Sisters, which used the new and modern pedagogical system of M. Montessori at that time. During the research, unpublished sources were used, which helped to compile and present, in order to achieve the set aim, educational activities in Kaunas and, based on the development of the monastery, the establishment of new departments, to highlight educational activities in various areas of Lithuania.
The Benedictine Sisters were sent everywhere as educators and educators who applied the most up-to-date and modern Montessori pedagogical system of the time.
Having the necessary preparation, this pedagogical system was applied by the Benedictine Sisters working with children not only in Kaunas as the first nun educators, to whom the first state primary school was opened at the request of the monastery society, but also in the kindergartens established by them in Joniskis, Pasvalys, Zasliai, as well as in the transferred to lead children's shelter in Ciobiškis, and a kindergarten in Prienai. Most of the sisters worked in different kindergartens: educators and leaders, there were sr. Gabriele Spokaite and sr. Apolonija Salčiute. Non-formal education was provided in other established sections of the monastery. The Sisters prepared children for the First Confession and Communion in Ariogala and the Cekiškes. The Benedictine Sisters cared of the church and took care of the old people in Siluva. The Sisters engaged in self-education or educated others in Vilnius. And there is no knowledge about any educational activity in Pernava, but during the ten years of the opening of this monastery branch, one or another educational activity had to be carried out. Thus, the Benedictine Sisters engaged in both formal and non-formal education from 1918 to 1940 in Kaunas, Joniskis, Pasvalys, Zasliai Ciobiskis, Prienai, Ariogala, Cekiške, Siluva, Vilnius and Pernava. The Sisters enriched society not only with their sincere apostolic work, imbued with prayer, but also as missionaries in their country, in response to the needs of that time, thus discovering the new forms of Benedictine life.